Welcome!

Welcome to my blog where I test, evaluate, and share recipes. I love trying new recipes, creating recipes, and improving on the classics. I also post about where I have gone to find quality products and the freshest ingredients in the Food Travels tab. If you have pets, you might enjoy making a homemade treat from the Dog and Parrot recipe tabs. Please feel free to comment or make suggestions on this blog. If you have any recipes that you would like me to test or improve (make it healthier, substitutions, put a twist on it, etc.), please email me at breagha70@gmail.com or click on the "Recipe Suggestions" tab above.

Thursday, July 26, 2012

BANANA CRANBERRY NUT BREAD

Banana Cranberry Nut Bread is one of my favorite things to have for breakfast.  It's a great way to use up those overly ripe bananas too.  You can make muffins from this recipe as well, but I made the quick bread version because I plan on making something else with it.

I discovered a new way to eat banana bread a few years ago when I was in my kitchen and realized that I didn't have any bread to make french toast.  Being someone who improvises, I decided to try French toasting banana bread.  It is my absolute favorite French Toast now.  All one has to do is prepare the French Toast batter as usual, even throw in some ground cinnamon.  Cut a piece of the banana bread, about a half an inch thick.  Dip the banana bread in the French Toast batter, and griddle until toasted and browned.  Serve it up with butter and syrup!  French Toast has never been better.

The recipe below couldn't be easier.  If you don't like cranberries, try something else.  Maybe you like raisins, blueberries, apricots, or even chocolate chips!  The options are endless so be creative!

BANANA CRANBERRY NUT BREAD

Adapted and Modified from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book
 (Banana Bread)

Preparation Time:  15 minutes
Total Time:  65 minutes
Makes 16 Slices

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup mashed bananas (about 2-3)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract 
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Instructions:

Grease and 8X4X2 inch loaf pan.  Preheat oven 350 degrees F.  In a medium mixing bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, and salt.  Make a well in the middle of the mixture and set aside.
 In another mixing bowl, beat the egg, add the mashed bananas, sugar, oil, lemon extract, and almond extract; pour the mixture into the well created in the dry mixture.  Stir together until dry ingredients are moist (batter will be lumpy).
















Fold in chopped walnuts, pecans, and dried cranberries.  Pour batter into greased loaf pan and bake for 50 minutes or until a knife inserted towards the center comes out clean.  Allow loaf to cool on wire cooling rack.















No comments:

Post a Comment