Welcome!

Welcome to my blog where I test, evaluate, and share recipes. I love trying new recipes, creating recipes, and improving on the classics. I also post about where I have gone to find quality products and the freshest ingredients in the Food Travels tab. If you have pets, you might enjoy making a homemade treat from the Dog and Parrot recipe tabs. Please feel free to comment or make suggestions on this blog. If you have any recipes that you would like me to test or improve (make it healthier, substitutions, put a twist on it, etc.), please email me at breagha70@gmail.com or click on the "Recipe Suggestions" tab above.

Monday, July 16, 2012

BLUE HAKE - HIT OR MISS?

Recently, I was asked to prepare Blue Hake, a white, flaky, sturdy fish that comes from New Zealand and the Eastern Coast of the United States.  Having never tried it before, I decided to embark upon it.

I bought the Blue Hake frozen from Schwan's just to test it out.  It came with a recipe and I prepared it accordingly.  I have actually made this twice and my findings are mixed.  Both times I made it, I thought it was a nice light flavor, more than Tilapia but less flavor than Salmon.  It was okay, and maybe I'd have it again.

In any event, this is the recipe from Schwan's.  The second time preparing this, I used fresh dill, which I think made a big difference.   To avoid the fishy taste of any fish, soak the fillets in milk in a plastic zip lock bag for an hour.  If you try this recipe, please drop a comment or email me what you think.

PARMESAN HERB ENCRUSTED BLUE HAKE

Adapted by Schwan's (recipe insert)

Preparation Time:  15 minutes
Total Time:  30 minutes
Serves 2






Ingredients:

1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 teaspoons dry dill, chives, parsley (I changed the dry dill to fresh dill)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 Blue Hake fillets 
A drizzle of fresh lemon juice

Instructions:

Wash and dry fillets.  Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  In a small mixing bowl, combine the olive oil, bread crumbs, dry herbs (if using fresh dill, set aside), Parmesan cheese, and pepper.  Mix with a fork until the mixture has absorbed the oil.

Line a baking dish with parchment paper and spray a light coating of cooking oil.   Spread the bread crumb mixture over the top of the fillets.  If you are using fresh dill, sprinkle the dill over the top of the bread crumb mixture. 

Bake the fillets for 20 minutes until the topping is golden brown.  Drizzle fresh lemon juice before serving.





No comments:

Post a Comment