Welcome!

Welcome to my blog where I test, evaluate, and share recipes. I love trying new recipes, creating recipes, and improving on the classics. I also post about where I have gone to find quality products and the freshest ingredients in the Food Travels tab. If you have pets, you might enjoy making a homemade treat from the Dog and Parrot recipe tabs. Please feel free to comment or make suggestions on this blog. If you have any recipes that you would like me to test or improve (make it healthier, substitutions, put a twist on it, etc.), please email me at breagha70@gmail.com or click on the "Recipe Suggestions" tab above.

Friday, July 20, 2012

GRASS FED MEATS - TASTE THE DIFFERENCE!

I decided to buy "grass fed" meats from the local Mennonite community recently.  I purchased their pork chops, ground beef, ham steak, and steak.  So far, I can say that you can definitely taste the difference.  In the past, whenever I had the opportunity to purchase organic or farm fresh beef or poultry, I jumped on it.  I've used Belle & Evans and Maverick before, who never use chemicals to plump up their product.  So in my quest to have healthier, more leaner meat in my diet, I decided to give the "grass fed" meats a try.  And I'm glad I did.

First up was the pork chops that I grilled with butter and Weber's Steak'N Chop Seasoning.  I threw some fresh thyme into the mix as well.  I had never tried Weber's before, but I had a coupon and I decided to give it a try.  Its a mix of sea salt, garlic, onion, spices, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, lemon peel, citric acid and is good for beef and pork.  Weber's and the fresh thyme really complimented the pork.  I served it with pan sauteed potatoes and onions.  The result was, absolutely, the best pork chop ever!  Not much fat, very lean, juicy, and the taste of the pork was incredible.

I truly feel lucky to be living amongst the finest farmers and producers of quality food.  You can see and taste the pride in their work.  They are the best at their craft and it shows.  So, whenever you can, support your local farmers, produce stands, and specialty food stores.  They aren't about mass production, they're about high quality and its what drives them to do what they do.

GRILLED "GRASS FED" PORK CHOPS WITH FRESH THYME

Preparation Time:  10 minutes
Total Time:  30-40 minutes
Serves 2

Ingredients:

2 pork chops, bone in
2 tablespoons of butter
2 tablespoons Weber's Steak'N Chop Seasoning
1 tablespoon fresh Thyme

Instructions:

Heat grill on medium high heat.  Pat dry chops.  Mix the seasoning and the butter in a small bowl.

Spread the butter and seasoning mixture on the chops.  Sprinkle the fresh Thyme over the chops.

Grill the chops for about 20 minutes, flipping them every 5 minutes until done.  Take off grill and let the chops rest for a few minutes.  Serve.







For my potatoes:

Cut the potatoes in chunks and dice half an onion.  Heat a large skillet on medium heat and drizzle enough olive oil to coat the pan.  Put the onions in first and cook until translucent.  Add potatoes, salt and pepper to taste.  Continue cooking the potatoes and onions until done.  Add fresh Thyme and toss.  Serve as a side dish.


No comments:

Post a Comment