Welcome!

Welcome to my blog where I test, evaluate, and share recipes. I love trying new recipes, creating recipes, and improving on the classics. I also post about where I have gone to find quality products and the freshest ingredients in the Food Travels tab. If you have pets, you might enjoy making a homemade treat from the Dog and Parrot recipe tabs. Please feel free to comment or make suggestions on this blog. If you have any recipes that you would like me to test or improve (make it healthier, substitutions, put a twist on it, etc.), please email me at breagha70@gmail.com or click on the "Recipe Suggestions" tab above.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

PRESENTING...QUICHE LORRAINE

I love making quiche.  It's the type of all-in-one dish that makes you smile while you're making it because of all the levels of aromas.  When its done, you just can't wait to eat it.  It was very difficult not to take a bite when I made it this past week, but it was a gift for my mother's birthday.  So I had to restrain myself!  She called the next day to tell me how much she enjoyed having it for her breakfast.  That made me smile.

It might surprise people, though, that quiche was not invented by the French.  The French have made it their own today by adding cheese and pastry, however, quiche was invented by the Germans.  It came from the medieval Kingdom of Lothringen and came to the French, and to the English, after WWII.   A dish with a long history is always something to admire!

To prepare for this recipe, you will need to bake a 9-inch pastry pie crust.  My post yesterday shows you how to make a simple pie crust.  So, without further ado, below is a standard recipe for Quiche Lorraine.  I added fresh parsley to give it some color and a little extra burst of flavor.  Hope you enjoy!

QUICHE LORRAINE WITH FRESH PARSLEY

Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book

Preparation Time:  20 minutes
Total Time:  1 hour

Ingredients:

1 single pastry pie crust (see yesterday's post)
6 slices cooked bacon
1 medium onion, sliced
3 beaten eggs
1 1/2 cups milk (can use reduced fat, 2% or 1%)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Dash ground nutmeg
1/4 cup of fresh flat-leaf parsley, rough chopped
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.  Bake unpricked pie crust, lined with foil, for 8 minutes, remove foil and bake for an additional 4 to 5 minutes.  Remove pie crust and set aside. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees F.











Cook the bacon, place bacon on paper towel, and reserve about 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings.  Cook the onions until translucent in the reserved bacon drippings, set aside.










Crumble the bacon and set aside.  In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt, nutmeg, and parsley.  Add the onions and bacon.

In another bowl, coat the cheese with the flour. 













Add the cheese mixture to the egg mixture.  Pour into baked pie crust.   Bake the quiche for 35-40 minutes until golden brown and until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.  Let stand 10 minutes before serving.  If freezing, let completely cool.







No comments:

Post a Comment