Welcome!

Welcome to my blog where I test, evaluate, and share recipes. I love trying new recipes, creating recipes, and improving on the classics. I also post about where I have gone to find quality products and the freshest ingredients in the Food Travels tab. If you have pets, you might enjoy making a homemade treat from the Dog and Parrot recipe tabs. Please feel free to comment or make suggestions on this blog. If you have any recipes that you would like me to test or improve (make it healthier, substitutions, put a twist on it, etc.), please email me at breagha70@gmail.com or click on the "Recipe Suggestions" tab above.

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

SIMPLE BUT PERFECT PIE CRUSTS

Tomorrow I will be posting a favorite dish of mine that requires a single pastry pie crust, so I thought I might make this post today about making homemade pie crusts. 

Pie crusts aren't complicated.  In fact, they are the most simplistic thing to make.  Four ingredients and a little rolling pin action...so why buy it from the store?  We've all done it from time to time; buying the already made pie shells or the pie dough from the refrigerated section.  I think its because when we're so busy with everyday life, a little help from the store makes us relax a bit.  But I can't think of a better way to take out the stress in my life than playing with dough and rolling it out. 

Making your own pie crust dough is also cost effective.  The store bought ones are approximately $4.50 for two.  Not bad for convenience, but you can make these at home for about $.75 a pie crust.  You can also freeze pie crust to always have it on hand. 

I love baking and cooking from scratch.  But that doesn't mean I can't use my kitchen gadgets and appliances.  Scratch doesn't mean make it like they did in the dark ages.  Technology is wonderful and I happen to believe that even bakers and cooks from 100 years ago would have used today's inventions if they were able to get their hands on it.  So, to make my pie crusts, I broke out the food processor.  It just gets easier and easier!

These pie crusts will be flaky and perfect for just about any kind of pie or dish requiring a crust.  It's a simple recipe with perfect results.

SINGLE PIE CRUST

Food Processor Version


Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup shortening (I use Crisco)
5-6 tablespoons water



Instructions: 

Using the steel blade in the food processor bowl, add the flour, salt and shortening to the food processor bowl. 

 






 
Cover the food processor and pulsate until the mixture resembles cornmeal. 








Add the water, one tablespoon at a time until you have a ball of dough and the mixture has soaked up the water. 








Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out to 12 inches in diameter.   Transfer crust to a pie plate.









Trim the edges with a knife or a pizza cutter.








Crimp the edges with your fingers by pinching the dough.  For extra design, use a fork to press down the edges.









No comments:

Post a Comment