Welcome!

Welcome to my blog where I test, evaluate, and share recipes. I love trying new recipes, creating recipes, and improving on the classics. I also post about where I have gone to find quality products and the freshest ingredients in the Food Travels tab. If you have pets, you might enjoy making a homemade treat from the Dog and Parrot recipe tabs. Please feel free to comment or make suggestions on this blog. If you have any recipes that you would like me to test or improve (make it healthier, substitutions, put a twist on it, etc.), please email me at breagha70@gmail.com or click on the "Recipe Suggestions" tab above.

Monday, July 30, 2012

WING IT

I love hot, spicy, full flavor foods.  The hotter and spicier it is, I want to try it.  I have been making hot wings for many years and I've made them in different ways.  The recipe below is the way that I like them the best.

The hot wing originated 1964 in Buffalo, NY at the Anchor Bar by proprietors, Teresa and Frank Bellissimo.  It all started when Mr. and Mrs. Bellissimo's college aged son and his friends came home for a visit. Teresa wanted to make them a snack and so she came up with the idea of deep frying chicken wings and coating them with a cayenne pepper sauce.  Apparently, it was a hit and so was the sauce, Frank's Red Hot Wings Sauce, which is said to be the original hot wing sauce.  It has been available to all of us on supermarket shelves for years and, in my opinion, is the best.

Hot wings, to me, make a great meal.  I realize that they are an "appetizer" but for a lighter dinner, I like to make these with a salad on the side.  I dredge my wings in seasoned flour just to coat them (southern style fried chicken method), then lightly fry them, dip and bake them in the sauce, then dip them in sauce again before serving.  I think they taste better this way because the sauce gets baked in and intensifies the flavor. 

FRIED & BAKED HOT WINGS

Preparation Time:  15 minutes
Total Time:  65 minutes

Ingredients:

20-24 chicken wings
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 1/2 cups cooking oil
1 cup Frank's Red Hot Wings Sauce

Instructions:

Heat the cooking oil on medium high heat in a large pot.  In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the flour, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and red pepper flakes.






Dredge each piece of chicken through the flour mixture and set aside on a paper plate.








Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Carefully place the chicken wings in the cooking oil (you may have to do this in two batches).  Turn the wings after 3-4 minutes so that the wings are just browned and crispy on each side.  Remove the chicken wings and place them on paper towels to remove the excess oil. 






In a medium bowl, pour 3/4 of the hot sauce and start dipping the wings to coat them with the sauce.  Place the chicken wings on the baking sheet.  Bake for 20 minutes and remove. 



Using the remaining 3/4 cup of Frank's Hot Wings Sauce, dip the baked wings in the sauce to give them a final coating.










Serve with bleu cheese dressing and celery sticks.


No comments:

Post a Comment